What Is The Life Expectancy Of A Vinyl Window In St. Louis?
For homeowners in the St. Louis area of the country, like elsewhere, vinyl windows are an affordable alternative to much more expensive options like authentic natural wood.
As you set out to have quality replacement windows installed, you want to know they’re covered and warranted for an extensive period of time!
Bare minimum, long enough to justify your investment.
When you have windows you KNOW will increase your property value and be there working properly for many years to come…it means genuine peace of mind.
Let’s talk about what you can expect.
The Average Life Expectancy Of A Vinyl Window
Most everyday vinyl windows last between 20-40 years.
However, there are some variables to consider.
Let’s quickly go through them.
Windows that get the most direct sun will last a bit less than those that get regular shade. This is for the simple reason that seasons of sunshine and the sun’s heat (radiation) really do a number on building materials.
That said, shadier moist areas can cause water damage as well.
Ideally, windows last the longest when they’re in an area that’s a happy medium between the two. Regular maintenance and cleanings help dramatically!
Not all vinyl windows are created equal. You’ve got a wide range in terms of quality, from ultra-cheap to high-end expensive windows that are guaranteed to deliver much more long-term value.
- Low-quality mass-produced vinyl windows may not last 25 years. They definitely won’t still be looking fresh and new for long.
- There are going to be differences between single, double, and Premium Triple Pane Vinyl Windows (these are the only kind we install for St. Louis homeowners).
- Some vinyl windows are designed to be easy fixes. They’re to help the home look nice before it’s sold. Others are made to STAY ultra-efficient over the span of decades.
Frankly, when you don’t have a solid reference from a trusted friend or family member to go on, the process of getting replacement windows can be a hassle. And time consuming! Part of the reason is because of how… many… choices you have at your fingertips these days.
- General eCommerce platforms.
- The online stores for big box home improvement brands.
- The retail experience of shopping in a big box brand’s store.
- All the many ‘Window & Door’ companies in the area.
- All the many ‘Chuck & His Truck’ people you can find.
Who you choose is going to play a big role in the long-term value you can expect from your vinyl windows. But ultimately, they’re middlemen. At the end of the day, the windows will be coming from the manufacturer they work with, right?
For example, we only install ProVia products because they’re a proven manufacturer that guarantees their products!
Some Of Basics Of ProVia’s Window Coverage
- Windows = Lifetime. The rigid vinyl in their windows is warranted against chipping, cracking, peeling, pitting, or blistering, for as long as you own and live in the home (this averages 20-30 years for most folks).
- Paint/Finish = 15/10Years: The factory-applied paint on exterior vinyl window components is covered against cracking, pitting, peeling, blistering, or suffering from non-uniform fading discoloration and defects in material and workmanship for 15 years. The factory-applied paint or stain finish on interior wood components is covered against flaking, checking, blistering, or peeling and defects in material and workmanship for 10.
- Hardware = Lifetime: The moving parts, such as balances on double-hung windows and locking mechanisms in all units, are covered for as long as you live in the home.
How about the insulated glass? What about protection from glass breakage? Both Lifetime, along with coverage on any screens. They can make these bold claims because they know their products are superior and they’re going to last their full service life expectancy if well maintained.
Your Vinyl Window Installer
Finally, we have the installer you choose. While quality windows themselves may last a full 40 years or so…they definitely won’t deliver on their benefits if improperly or sloppily installed.
Energy efficiency is a major concern here.
What makes the difference are the specific materials they use, their measuring, their Vinyl Window Installation Process, work ethic, and the level of attention they give to all the hard-to-see details.
Here in St. Louis, homeowners call XteriorPRO because they know we’re complete sticklers for details.
We consider… everything.
Some examples include:
- Thicker trim coil.
- Low-expansion, closed-cell foam insulation.
- 100% perfect fits.
- Certified, well-trained, and well-paid installers.
Bottom Line: YOU Determine The Life Expectancy Of A Vinyl Window
It’s up to you. What quality and value level will your vinyl replacement windows have? Will they perform for your St. Louis home for decades, or start to look shabby after just a handful of years?
If you’ve got questions, concerns, or you’re interested in learning more about the triple-pane windows we install, Contact XteriorPro today. We’re happy to listen and share our expertise with you to help you as you make these important decisions. Thanks for your time today and we look forward to hearing from you soon.